May 16 2018. view 266
Today I feature a very dark collection. Knowing Manoj, I can’t think of a better style for him to master. Manoj is a talented designer and today he has brought his brand on to fabric.
What I love about this collection is that he has worked with only the best fabric and the presentation looks amazing - which makes the product come alive.
His love for skulls and everything black has made the collection sharper and edgier.
Keep an eye out for him on FB or Instagram under the brand name #sticknobulls and make your order.
1. What’s the thinking behind the brand name?
I love graphics. Graphics on streets,billboards or maybe on abandoned walls, specially some visuals which I really didn’t know who made. My friends and I talked about this over a few coffees but nothing happened. So I came up with a simple idea: ‘Stick no bulls’! This doesn’t have any hidden meanings or a special story but a straightforward expression.
2. What made you get into T-Shirts?
Screen printing has been my family business since the 1970s. It was first started by my dad. Then my mother took it over. They are the key influential figures in my life. So it eventually became the medium to express myself. I’ve always loved seeing my graphics in the cityscape. I’d love if they can roam around streets too.
3. The prints you have featured today, how long does it take for you to work on it?
It depends. Some took me about two days but some were done in only 6 hours.
4. When did you get into designing, and would you always stick to this kind of artwork, which is dark and punk?
When I was a kid, I used to draw dark comic figures on my bedroom walls. And it became a passion of mine. My father was a good artist and he encouraged me to draw more so I can improve my drawing skills. Even back then I was obsessed with skull based dark designs. I had the freedom to draw anything in those so I chose skulls and goth designs.
5. When would you be opening your online market? And how can one make the orders?
I already have a Facebook and an Instagram page for the brand and if anyone is interested to get Stick No Bull T-shirts, they can visit the page and order through messages or contact me through the mobile number on the page.
6. Can you also customise designs on request?
The idea of the brand is to express the designs that I create through T-shirts so that can be a bit out of the focus from the brand.
7. Tell me about the fabric you used? And the price range you will be selling?
I selected a cotton single jersey because of the tropical climate of Sri Lanka and the material is pretty comfortable to the skin. The prices start from Rs1800 onwards.
8. Would you always be in T-shirts, or do you hope to get into different things?
The brand is about graphic design ideas based on skulls and goth designs.T shirts are gonna be the first medium.
9. What would you say is your personal fashion statement?
If you love to wear something, wear it, do not look for others' opinions. You are the one who’s supposed to judge yourself, not anyone else.
10. What's next for the brand?
There’s gonna be pretty exciting products. Stay tuned.
Designers – Manoj Dewasurendra
Photographer – X IRIS